THIS SITE HAS MOVED AND IS UNDER THE NAME, METAL MELLOWDEE!

Am I a Pessimistic Reader?

Something happens when I read. Pages into an intriguing book, and revelry is found in relaxation. Just seconds later and it happens--the storm of internal questions and echoes of commentary. Then, my rebellious fist mentally shakes at the author and selected content. 
Photo courtesy: libguides.caltech.edu
It is not the stirring of an frantic imagination, that colorful entity described during the stages of youth, but something of an importance to a more mature mind, something called, critical thinking. And, it seems to lead to what I might dub, the realm of cynicism.

One would assume that matured reading would find rest in the stability of being assured, but for me, I become preoccupied with stern sense of inquiry. Consider the scenario: 


All delighted to return to finish the last three chapters, I'm engrossed in a novel. The thoughts come-a rushing, tuning out the surroundings, including people; then, I'm knee-deep in a sludgy realm of questions: "How did they arrive at that?," "The dates for that event seem, meh, off,"  "That a repeated phrase?" Suddenly, someone nearby says something aloud like, "Oh, look at that cute squirrel!" Disturbed, I'm inclined to toss off a half-attentive remark to them. Closing the book, I now see glimpses of that cynical abyss in the outside reality, questioning why far more than a handful of people obsess over Beyoncรจ's whereabouts (oh, how I wish it was just a handful) or wondering why a slew of speakers seem to express themselves using "like" in every...single...utterance. 

I know it cannot be uncommon to ponder the idea, and I'm not eluding to being a nominee for "The Most Bitter Chick on Crazy Avenue" award; I'm certainly not eluding to being pretentious and arrogant. But, I believe that the cynicism realm may deserve some kudos. After all, it seems to encourage analysis. I can detect that this fuels the independent thought-making process, and this independence can be celebrated for inducing, at least a portion of, brain activity. 

As I previously stated, this doesn't seem like it'd be a one-time phenomenon. So, offer your input, page-turners. Have you ever found yourself cynical while or after reading? 

No comments:

Post a Comment